Testicular Cancer Diagnosis? Start Here.

iebpharma360

Testicular Cancer Diagnosis? Start Here.

Post by iebpharma360 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:11 pm

Jonathan Sommers had recently moved to Los Angeles and was pursuing a career path in screenwriting when life seemingly came to a halt. At age 27, he received a testicular cancer diagnosis. In our podcast episode “Young and Diagnosed: Encountering the Unexpected,” recorded in September 2021, Jonathan described the events leading up to his diagnosis 9 years earlier. He also recalled the first moments after his urologist delivered the news: “All of a sudden, what I had planned — my path — stopped,” he said. “The trajectory was like, uh-uh, not going to happen. That was a hard thing to wrap my head around. It takes a while for young adults to realize that.” What Are the Signs & Symptoms of Testicular Cancer? Johns Hopkins Medicine reports that an estimated 8,000-10,000 men will develop testis cancer each year, and the chance of developing the disease is about 1 in 270 men. The average age at the time of a diagnosis is about 33.

This means that many men with testicular cancer are young adults, part of a group known as AYAs (adolescents and young adults between the ages of 15-39 who are diagnosed with cancer). A young woman hugs her dog as they sit together on the edge of a pier overlooking a lake READ Don’t Go It Alone: Find Support as an AYA With Cancer If you are facing a testicular cancer diagnosis, you may experience a range of feelings such as shock, loneliness, sadness, worry, or fear. Three important things you can do to gain control of your journey are: Ask questions Seek support Find Baricitinib 4mg (Barigen) connection Not sure where to start? Keep reading to learn more about Jonathan's story and resources that can help you. Ask Questions & Consider Your Options Carefully It’s common to feel overwhelmed after receiving a cancer diagnosis, be it testicular cancer or another cancer. Often, there are different treatment options to consider, and tough decisions to make. It’s important to talk with your healthcare team about your questions and concerns.

This includes discussing possible side effects of testicular cancer treatment, such as fertility issues. If you haven’t received treatment yet and would like to have children after testicular cancer, talk with your doctor about fertility preservation. Learn About Treatments for Testicular Cancer Just a day after his own diagnosis, Jonathan faced a “bombardment of options” as doctors discussed bloodwork, tumor markers, and imaging tests. “It was just too much for the mind,” he said. Questions raced through his mind: “How am I supposed to know any of this?... And wait, what is in-network and out-of-network? And am I going to miss work?” Jonathan found comfort in conversations with his doctor, a testicular cancer survivor who offered compassion and reassurance. “That relationship defined my successful treatment,” he said. Three days after his diagnosis, Jonathan underwent surgery to remove the testicle that the tumor was found on.